History of Trinity Lutheran Church North Little Rock, Arkansas
On January 10, 1943, seventeen Lutheran men of North Little Rock met for the purpose of organizing a congregation on the north side of the Arkansas river. During the summer months of 1939, the pastors of First Lutheran Church in Little Rock, the Rev. Rudolph Prange and the Rev. Erich Brauer, had begun holding open-air services in MacArthur Park in Little Rock. Later these out-door services were transferred to a site in North Little Rock and conducted each Sunday and Wednesday night through the summer of 1941.
In the fall of that year, First Lutheran Church purchased a lot at the corner of 17th and Maple streets in North Little Rock, a central location at that time. In the spring of 1942, the Wester District Mission Board was asked for assistance in this mission project. Shortly thereafter a call was extended by the Mission Board to Candidate Everett Grese to take charge of a new field. Candidate Grese was ordained and installed as missionary-at-large of the western District at First Lutheran Church on July 12, 1942, and immediately began his work in North Little Rock.
Meanwhile the primary problem was to find a place of worship, and plans were made to erect a suitable chapel as soon as possible. Fellow Lutherans in Little Rock had been collecting funds for this purpose, and together with the funds collected in North Little Rock, there was enough to erect a temporary chapel. On September 27, 1942, the building was dedicated to the glory of God. Average attendance at the Sunday morning services was 65. A Sunday School was soon organized with an enrollment of 33. In December of 1942, First Lutheran congregation, Little Rock, granted the request for release from membership there of its members who lived in North Little Rock, in order that they might organize a congregation of their own.
At the organizational meeting which took place on January 10, 1943, the name “Trinity” was chosen for the new congregation. The new group numbered 124 souls and 81 communicant members. One hundred and sixty-three people were present at a special service that afternoon when the Rev. Prange preached on “We Have a Great Work To Do”. based on Nehemiah 6:1-4